Re: Performance!

From: Ulrik Hoffmann <ulrik_at_hoffmann-kiel.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:56:41 +0100

> I've been making tests with my Oracle and I think it's very slow! I'd like
> to know how do I proced to make Oracle Work faster. What are the steps I
> should take to get better perfomance on SELECTING, DELETING, or UPDATING
> tables? I think my server is not correctly configured. I use Oracle 8 in a
> Netware Server.

This is a thing which can have millions of causes: Oracle normally recommends a lot of steps to tune, like - Tune the Memory (we need the parameters shared_pool_size,

                                db_block_buffers, db_block_size,
sort_area_size)
  in your initora.log - file (is used during startup)   you can get the parameters as well with select * from v$parameter as system
- Tune the redo-logs (look at your orclalrt.log file (alert file), are there any lines like

   checkpoint not complete ?)
- Tune the Select statements (avoid unnecessary joining, use 'exists' instead, and million
  things more)
- Tune the database-model

And then there are many more possible tuning-parameters...

If you have more questions, I need the above mentionened parameters and how much RAM the server has.

Bye
Uli Received on Wed Jun 09 1999 - 16:56:41 CDT