Re: SET ORACLE_HOME

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 01:16:01 GMT

A copy of this was sent to hhuntleyjr_at_mediaone.net (Howard Huntley) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 00:29:30 GMT, you wrote:

>I am trying to get Oracle 8i installed on my Sun Sparc 20. Each
>attempt to initialize the install program I get back an error message
>stating "ORACLE_HOME must be set before installing OiD" I have set,
>setenv several times with on effect. Can any one tell me how to set
>this environment variable??

In a couple of other postings, you have stated:

i did:

setenv ORACLE_HOME=/some/path

if you are using the csh, thats the incorrect syntax. You just set a variable "ORACLE_HOME=/some/path" to nothing. You did not set the variable ORACLE_HOME.

Try this:

$ setenv ORACLE_HOME /some/path
$ echo $ORACLE_HOME

that will show you if it is set or not.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Jun 07 1999 - 20:16:01 CDT