Re: Triggers and External Processes

From: David Pattinson <david_at_addease.com.au>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 11:55:53 +1000

Chris,

Unless you really need the executable to run immediately the database is updated, you might consider using a trigger to insert a record into a queue table to be processed every x seconds by an Oracle job. This way you avoid overhead on each transaction. You could use an executable running from another machine to scan the queue table and perform tasks if you didn't want to use a job, avioding the additional load on the database server. A queue is sometimes a better alternative since it also allows for your database transactions to go through even if your executable is for some reason unavailable.

HTH, David.