Re: Mass Oracle installations on many clients

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 15:57:42 GMT

Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com> wrote:

>In article <7j0ti3$7ih$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> rodger_lepinsky_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>Faced with the same problem (on a somewhat smaller scale) my solution
>ws to perform an Oracle client installation from a 'typcial' desktop.
>Instead of accepting the default oracle_home of c:\orant, I redirected
>to a network drive (let's call it x:). When the installation finished,
>I had the oracle software in x:\orant, and Oracle registry settings in
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE that pointed to Oracle_home as x:
Skipped
>Of course, for this to work, the logon procedure has to guarentee that
>x: is mapped appropriately, so that everyone's x: is mapped to the same
>shared drive/directory. BTW, this can be mixed/matched. We run NT
>Workstation on the desktops, our Oracle servers are on NT Server, and
>our file servers (where x: is mapped) are Novell.

The method described works for our setup as well...we have many users, located throughout the state that can run Oracle products on their workstations from a common shared Netware drive....

We use the method above, but, be sure that there is a search drive mapping to the Orahome/bin directory for each workstation---

We have NT, 95, and 16bit 3.1 clients using essentially the same process with the mapping and seraph drives set for orawin.orant or orawin95 as needed...

( Be sure that you have the right to do this, based on the type of license you have with Oracle )... Received on Fri Jun 04 1999 - 10:57:42 CDT