Re: Mass Oracle installations on many clients

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:53:31 GMT

In article <7j0ti3$7ih$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   rodger_lepinsky_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are running Oracle 7.34, and 8.05
> on a Unix server. The clients are Win 95.
> We also have NAL (Novell Application
> Launcher) on Novell.
>
> Many of our clients are at other sites.
> These clients need to have Oracle installed
> correctly.
>
> We are trying to create some kind of
> batch or script file/icon that the user
> can run to ensure a clean consistent
> install on all the clients.
>
> We have looked at Oracle Univeral Installer/
> Oracle Software Packager, and it won't
> work for us.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rodger

Faced with the same problem (on a somewhat smaller scale) my solution ws to perform an Oracle client installation from a 'typcial' desktop. Instead of accepting the default oracle_home of c:\orant, I redirected to a network drive (let's call it x:). When the installation finished, I had the oracle software in x:\orant, and Oracle registry settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE that pointed to Oracle_home as x: \orant. I then printed off the registry settings and keyed them into a template in NAL. That template is pushed out to the desktop every time someone logs on. Works like a charm and the users never have to do anything to become an Oracle client. If you don't want to fool with NAL, you could simply export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE and save the .reg file on x: and have a user 'execute' it to 'install' Oracle on their desktop. There are several other variations you could come up with, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Of course, for this to work, the logon procedure has to guarentee that x: is mapped appropriately, so that everyone's x: is mapped to the same shared drive/directory. BTW, this can be mixed/matched. We run NT Workstation on the desktops, our Oracle servers are on NT Server, and our file servers (where x: is mapped) are Novell.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jun 04 1999 - 07:53:31 CDT