Re: Oracle backup Problem.

From: Thirumurugan vadivelu <tvadivelu_at_infonautics.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 17:39:30 -0400

Hi
First of all You need to determine if the Database needs to be Up and Running 24 * 7 .
If so, then you got two Backup Possibilities : 1. Operate the Database in ARCHIVELOG mode and Take Hotbackups.In this Case Another Oracle process called ARCH is started which copies the Filled Online Redolog Files to a Location Specified by LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST (in init<sid>.ora). You need to Backup the Archived Redolog files also b'cos they will be needed for Media Recovery. Do not Copy the Online Redolog files in this Case. You need to monitor the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST Filesystem via automated process bc'os if it becomes full, then the DB hangs .-

2. Logical DB Backups using Oracle Export Utility . DB needs to be Up during the Backup preferably without much of User transactions. This method doesnt provide for File Recovery. Supports 3 modes viz Database Full Export, User and Table level Exports.

If you can afford to have Downtime, then Full Databse Cold Backups can be done.The Database can be operated either in Archivelog or NoArchivelog modes. Generally I dont backup the Online Redolog files except when you want to Shift the enitre DB onto a Different Host and bring it up without Recovery.

-Thiru