Re: Memory Allocation Error

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 10:59:37 +0200

Martin Hepworth wrote in message <374EACA8.40302E4_at_usa.net>...

>Sounds like you've got a memory leak somewhere.

Agree.

>Use the task manager to find out which process then debug further

Task Manager is not needed IMHO.

> could be either Oracle or Delphi.

..or the ODBC driver. The most likely suspect IMHO.

There's software on the market that enables you to track and identify memory leakages. As an alternative I suggest using Performance Manager and tracking the memory usage of the actual application.

On the Delphi side - to ensure that you do not have accidental memory leakage use resource protection blocks. Something like this:

try
  <create objects>
  <use objects>
finally
  <release objects
end;

The 'trick' is to make sure that whatever you create, are dellacocated. Go thru all class.CREATE statements and pointers and hunt for errors.

On the ODBC side - well this is a tough one and not that easy to debug. Easiest will be to write a small little test program (making sure that this app has no memory leakage errors) and run it using the ODBC driver and see if it bombs with a malloc error.

Good luck.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon May 31 1999 - 03:59:37 CDT