Addendum - JL's posting

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 15:01:16 -0400

I swear there was a posting by Jonathan Lewis here before but I don't see it on this
replication. He said something to the affect that Oracle may have taken the files off line
when it realized they were corrupt, and that under certain circumstances Oracle can
write to certain kinds of datafiles. In any case, the alert log didn't have anything other
than log switches up until the time of the shutdown. Also I was using the standard UNIX
compression utitlity "compress" that affixes a .Z to the end. Here is a piece of the alert
log from the restart:

alter database open
ORA-1113 signalled during: alter database open... Mon May 10 18:01:22 1999
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER database

Mon May 10 18:01:22 1999
Media Recovery Start
WARNING! Recovering data file 40 from a fuzzy backup. It might be an online backup taken without entering the begin backup command. WARNING! Recovering data file 59 from a fuzzy backup. It might be an online backup taken without entering the begin backup command. Media Recovery Log
Mon May 10 18:01:47 1999
Media Recovery Complete
Completed: ALTER DATABASE RECOVER database

What are these fuzzy backup messages? Also, we noticed that the files could not be
uncompressed while Oracle was still up because Oracle reserved the space for the original
uncompressed size of the file, and so there wasn't enough room without bringing Oracle down.

Also, how can Oracle write to a compressed file? What kinds of compressed files.