Re: Addendum - JL's posting

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 21:06:48 +0100

I can't find the posting either.
I think the point I was making was that Oracle might not need to write to the file for some time after it had been compressed etc...

Following on from the alert.log though, possibly what happened was this:

You compressed the file to produce a .Z file

Oracle kept the original file open, and kept writing to it so was perfectly happy.

You shut the database, and the file ceased to exist just after Oracle shut down with a totally clean shutdown.

You uncompressed the file back in place, which left Oracle with a file that was an out of date file (hence the FUZZY comment - it was a copy that had apparently been taken whilst the database was still active); then luckily your very large on-line redo logs were big enough to cope with a full recovery.

--

Jonathan Lewis

Doug Cowles wrote in message <374AF37C.77E5F504_at_bigfoot.com>...
>I swear there was a posting by Jonathan Lewis here before but I don't see
it Received on Wed May 26 1999 - 15:06:48 CDT