Re: NLS QUESTION - WE8ISO8859P1 - Russian Cyrillic ???

From: Stilian Elenkov <elenkovs_at_vtls.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:12:25 -0400

Frank Puechl wrote:

> Hi Kristy,
>
> I am developing an application for a Japanese customer. We are using Windows
> (95 and NT) clients, a HP-UX server and Oracle 7.3.4. To be able to work
> with the Japanese characters we are using the following character sets, for
> the client 'JA16SJIS' and for the server 'JA16EUC'.
> Using these character sets we are able to store English and Japanese
> characters. Special German characters cannot be used. If you are running
> Oracle8 you are able to use the UNICODE character set that supports all
> characters.
>
> The problem with different character sets is the conversion from the client
> to the server - you must have fitting sets to avoid loss of data.
>
> Good Luck
> Frank Puechl
> Technology Consultant
> debis Systemhaus Dienstleistungen GmbH
> Insurance International
>
> Kristy <nospamplease_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Gang:
> >
> > We have been using the WE8ISO8859P1 character set in our Oracle
> > database with great success with our French, German, U.K., etc. users
> > until now...
> >
> > Our test user in Russia enters and sees Cyrillic characters on the
> > screen (Windows) but after she saves and retrieves the record, the
> > Cyrillic characters are gone. Is it possible to have different
> > clients with different character sets all using the same database???
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kristy
> > Oracle DBA

You can use UTF8 (UNICODE) which can store all types of characters. The code is AL24UTFFSS.
This is available in Oracle 7 as well. We are using it to store records in 35 (and more) different languages, including Arabic, Hebrew, CJK, Japanese Russian, Greek etc.

Stilian

--
Linus Torvalds on Microsoft and software development: "... if it's a hobby for me and a job for you, why are you doing such a shoddy job of it?" Received on Tue May 25 1999 - 09:12:25 CDT