Re: NLS QUESTION - WE8ISO8859P1 - Russian Cyrillic ???

From: Elias A. Kuzkin <dev_at_corvus.ru>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:23:17 +0400

Kristy wrote in message <3749c561.17195676_at_client.ce.news.psi.net> ...
>Hi Gang:
>
>We have been using the WE8ISO8859P1 character set in our Oracle
>database with great success with our French, German, U.K., etc. users
>until now...
>
>Our test user in Russia enters and sees Cyrillic characters on the
>screen (Windows) but after she saves and retrieves the record, the
>Cyrillic characters are gone. Is it possible to have different
>clients with different character sets all using the same database???
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Kristy
>Oracle DBA

Dear Kristy,
Your russian client should run regedit, switch to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ORACLE and find parameter called NLS_LANG (somewhere in ORACLE_HOMES) and set it to AMERICAN_CIS.CL8MSWIN1251 or RUSSIAN_CIS.CL8MSWIN1251 (this is most probable character set, but it may vary - client design dependant, another alternative is CL8ISO8859P5 which is less used at Windows, mostly at UNIX-systems). Best regards,

Elias A. Kuzkin, Oracle Developer,
Corvus International LLC, Moscow, Russian Federation, dev_at_corvus.ru Received on Tue May 25 1999 - 02:23:17 CDT