Re: Advice on hardware for running oracle 8 on nt

From: Chris Weiss <weisschr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 16:06:18 -0400

As with almost all database applications: I/O and paging, I/O and paging, I/O and paging. Did I mention I/O and paging? Fast disks and RAM improve performance for both.

I am using a Dell Poweredge with a cached Perc controller and 10,000 RPM drives tuned for the application I am supporting. This system flies!!! It is the fastest NT server I have ever used with Oracle. Unix hardware tends to be faster, but it costs a great deal more.

The hardware you should choose also depends on the type of application. If the main use of the server is transactional, several small fast drives work best. If your app has its data batch loaded followed by large queries, go for stripe sets of bigger drives and more ram!!!

Look at tuning books before you commit to final specifications. The wrong hardware will be a nightmare in the long run. I have found that heavily cached raid controllers give superior I/O regardless of the application used. However, cached controllers will lose data in the event of a sudden system outage - ie. someone hits the "off" switch. Our controller has a battery backup to prevent data loss. I haven't tested it, but it is supposed to prevent the scenario I just described.

If you are running a mixed OLTP/DSS environment, then you might want to look at two distinct disk systems. Put your transaction table spaces on several small disks and put your DSS table spaces on bigger drives running in stripe sets. Poweredge servers can support internal and external raid arrays.

The best piece of advice anyone can give you before choosing hardware is knowing your end user application(s) before planning the hardware. The number of users and the amount of data are meaningless metrics if you don't know the mode of access and the frequency of data changes.

Christopher Weiss
Professional Services Division
Compuware Corporation

Greg Vitetzakis <ggv007_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7ic4uk$i7r_at_tandem.CAM.ORG...
> I regards to performance, the most impressive NT box i have had the
> pleasure of working with is the DELL PowerEdge series...These things
> fly...
>
> You can find the Dell Hardware Sizer on the Oracle Web site.

<7ic267$9a5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...