Re: Oracle 8i vs DB2 UDB for Data Warehousing

From: Larry <lsedels_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 13:55:06 -0400

Romel,

Take a look at these factors:

  1. Scalability: How large is your warehouse expected to grow? Which database can handle that better? And which vendor can provide references of happy customers using warehouses of that size?
  2. Synergy with existing skill bases ... do you have DB2 for OS/390 in house or on AS/400?
  3. Technical Implementation of features like Summary Tables and bitmap indexing.
  4. Cost-Based Optimizer Experience and Maturity.
  5. Will you Java or Web-Enable your warehouse? Which vendor has the experience and reputation in this area?