Re: rollback segment problem

From: Roger Snowden <rs_at_homie.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 14:49:45 GMT

In the case of a long-running query, increasing commits - that is, doing interim commits - will be counter-productive. You need to increase the number and amount of rollback segments to accomodate long queries, especially during periods when other transactions are making changes to the database. Also, make sure that all rollback segments are the same size.

We get confused on that point, thinking that a huge rollback segment is needed to accomodate a long query. The undo that occurs to give you read consistency on a query comes from the already-generated undo residing in the rollback segment containing the committed or uncommited transaction whose work you need to roll back. ORA-01555 is caused by either missing undo blocks or an overwritten transaction entry (in the undo header, or "transaction table"). Consequently, a balance is needed between undo data blocks and undo headers. Keeping all rollback segments the same allows Oracle to reasonably balance transaction load and better preserver transaction history for accomodating long-running queries.

Roger Snowden