Re: rollback segment reached maximum extent

From: Roger Snowden <rs_at_homie.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 14:55:31 GMT

You certainly don't need to shut down the db to fix this problem. But, when you offline a rollback segment you have to wait until pending transaction are completed. You are really doing an "offline pending" and it could take a while to finish the pending stuff. So, Sally's technique of adding the new ones first is a good one. The get used immediately. You can also edit them into the init.ora file and comment out the old ones so that next time you take a bounce the old ones are offline for sure and you can drop them easily. Otherwise, add the new ones (configured all nice and tidy, of course) and offline the old ones and wait a while. When they are really offline, drop them.

Roger