Re: Oracle client configuration

From: <bijuv_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 18:24:58 GMT

Kev,
Install ORACLE Client software on the machine from where u want to connect to the Server. Go to "ORACLE_HOME" dir(ex D:\ORANT) -> Network dir->open Tnsnames.ora file ->add the "service". Try Tnsping "service name" to test the service..

Biju

In article <927213608.17796.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> Hi Kev,
>
> You should be able to install the client software only.
> The minimum setup is sqlplus and net8, and maybe the ODBC driver and
Oracle
> Objects for Ole.
> The listener should be running on the system the database is on.
> You don't need a nameserver, especially not if you have only 1
database.
> That is overkill.
> You will need on your server
> sqlnet.ora
> tnsnames.ora
> listener.ora
> on the client
> sqlnet.ora
> tnsnames.ora
> in %ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> TwoSheds wrote in message <7i0vnv$2cmu$1_at_quince.news.easynet.net>...
> >I've got Oracle 8 running on my NT4 Workstation, but I want to be
able to
> >log on to the database from other machines on our network.
> >
> >I realise this will involve setting up and configuring Net8 and Names
> >Servers and Listeners, using host name addressing, and configuring
these on
> >the server to listen for incoming connection requests.
> >
> >I have read lots of documentation (that came with O8), but am still
unsure
> >about what software I need to run on the client side, ie the machine
I want

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Fri May 21 1999 - 13:24:58 CDT