Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Doug Hutcheson <Doug.Hutcheson_at_dnr.qld.gov.au.no.ham.spam.thank.you.mam>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:46:32 +1000

David,
Tsk tsk!
Just because Nuno lives in Oz, it does not follow that you should slag Oz software out of pique.
In fact, we tend to build some fast and efficient systems, to maximise the 'bang for the buck', because our hardware and software costs more in number of dollars than the same products in the USA, and our dollars are harder to earn (lower dollar income in Australia for equivalent USA IT positions , for instance) - ie, we spend a great deal more of our working day earning the money for our IT processing, so we have to make the results just that much more efficient.
Now, as for bagging MS marketing, I have no problem with that, but it pays to remember that the driving force behind companies upgrading is NOT MS (or anyone else's) marketing, but commercial competition - if company A has web enabled tools and company B does not, then B may slip into a competitive disadvantage against A. On the other hand, if there was no commercial reason to change, we would still be on the good old Z80 and CP/M in PCs and what? PDP11's midrange, S360 etc. etc.
MS does not own the world, the market or the media, in spite of what the sensational press might like to have us believe. We change because WE choose to, not because Bill tells us to.
Cheers,
Doug

--
Having fun with Access...
but then, I'm on medication...

Dev Ashish's site & FAQ: http://home.att.net/~dashish Microsoft support: http://support.microsoft.com/support News archive: www.dejanews.com.

The surest sign for the existence of intelligent life in the universe is that we have not been contacted.

David wrote in message ...

> [...]
>>> developed sense of aesthetics. From a strictly business standpoint it is
>not
>>> economically efficient, period.
>>

>>Here we go again with the typical MS and "expert magazine" marketing
>DRIVEL!!!!!
>

>What exactly does MS marketing have to do with his summary on how the
>industry has changed. This has nothing to do with marketing. Are you so
>mindless that you have to parrot your broken record phrase of "MS Marketing
>is behind it!" over and over and over without really responding to the
>point?
>
>He is absolutely correct when he says that times have changed in regards to
>development due to cheaper RAM. I remember when coding for the PDP (only
>16-64k depending on how much money you had) you had to take the uttmost
care
>in writing for efficiency due to the memory limitations.
>
>>Wrong! We are talking about picking an application that has maybe 500K
>>lines of code and turning it into a 200Mb monster that does essentially
the
>>SAME!
>

>Nuno, you really need a lesson in manners. Here in the US it isn't
necessary
>that you agree with the other person, but what is required is courtesy and
>politeness, not upper-case screaming and rudeness.
>What kinds of manners do they teach you in Australia? Maybe it was because
>Australia was originally populated with English felons... I don't know.
>
>As to your comment on the size of the application, do you have any clue as
>to the size and complexity of the application? Or are you just pulling
these
>numbers out of your bung-hole?
>
>>What is the VALUE to the user in that? Absolutely NONE!
>>
>>WHATEVER the cost of memory may be. Don't use semantics or common place
>>argumentation to try and confuse the issue, you can't do that with me,
been
>>around
>>for too long. NOBODY is questioning that memory is cheaper and therefore
>it is
>>easier to code larger programs.
>>
>>What is being questioned is WHAT IS THE VALUE TO USERS of that additional
>code
>>if it achieves NOTHING but sell new versions of hardware and software?
>

>Actually I find that the latest versions of Word do offer quite a bit more.
>I am now able to link URLS and edit HTML directly in Word. You might not
>need all the features (like I said before, I think you need to look into
>using Notepad for all your simple needs) but at least they are available
and
>you can always choose not to install them. As far as the size of Word, it
>hasnt really gotten any bigger in size in proportion to the average hard
>drive size. Hard drives being shipped with new machines have gone from 1
Gig