Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Arvin Meyer <a_at_m.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 07:26:46 -0400

I suggest that David is correct in his assessment. Judging from your comments, your company is about to make the same mistake it did previously: Buying into a legacy operating system and equipment which will be outdated by the time the rollout is complete.

If your company has a 500 machine base, your IT staff should be able to complete an upgrade in 1 month or less. If that can't happen, then you are understaffed, and need either more IT people, or need to hire a consulting firm to do the rollout for you.

The last rollout I participated in was for 40 laptop machines with imaged hard drives. It took 2 folks in IT 10 hours to burn the drives and do the physical install, and 1 more person to test, pack, and ship the machines to 19 different locations. The last network I installed was done during a working day. I, and one part-time unskilled person, physically installed and completely configured an NT 4 Server, physically installed NIC's and drivers on 16 machines, set up the accounts and shortcuts, and moved 4 gigs of data from the old Netware server. We did this in 15 hours, and never interrupted working personnel for more than 20 minutes each.

I'd wait for NT 5 (Windows 2000) and take advantage of network install servers, and Network PC's which will cost about $800 to $ 900 each + monitor and you should be able to rollout 30 to 40 a day with 2 IT folks. I'd use PII400's with 128 Mb of RAM and 13 to 18 Gb hard drives. Your total cost per machine should be in the $1400 range. In a non-development environment, that should last you about 3 years.
---
Arvin Meyer
onsite_at_esinet.net