Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_mpn.com>
Date: 18 May 1999 17:15:05 GMT

Arvin Meyer (a_at_m.com) wrote:

: The last rollout I participated in was for 40 laptop machines with imaged
: hard drives. It took 2 folks in IT 10 hours to burn the drives and do the

I hate to tell you - 40 laptops is miles different to 500 users - including managing data migration from old desktop to new desktop (yes, lusers put data on their own machine, not on server).

: completely configured an NT 4 Server, physically installed NIC's and

Building servers can be done with eyes closed. It's easy.

: I'd wait for NT 5 (Windows 2000) and take advantage of network install

As someone else has mentioned - W2K won't be stable until 2001 or 2002 at the earliest. Anyone who uses it before then.... agh!

: and you should be able to rollout 30 to 40 a day with 2 IT folks. I'd use

Nope, absolutely not feasable. User handholding is a requirement when they are given new machines. You say 15 per IT man per day... 7 working hours, so at least 2 per hour... 30 minutes per machine? Ha! Totally impossible.

--

rgds
Stephen Received on Tue May 18 1999 - 12:15:05 CDT