Oracle8i - increase process limit

From: George <news_at_lemont.rice.iit.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 02:56:58 GMT

Can someone shed some light on how to increase the process limit for Oracle 8i.

I'm using Oracle 8i in a database class, and when all of the students try and connect to an instance, the first 20 or so students can get in, but then everyone else gets cut off.

Those that are cut off get an error message about being above the 30 process limit.

In my initorcl.ora file, I tried changing the "processes = 30" line to read "processes = 50". But now when I try and invoke the database with the dbstart command I find that the server won't startup. I get the following errors:

  SQL> Connected to an idle instance.
  SQL> ORA-24323: value not allowed
  ORA-24323: value not allowed
  ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed

I then tried uncommenting other configuration options that seemed to match a higher processes value - they were commented with "SMALL". But I still get the same errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any info,

George

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 21:56:58 CDT