Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: David <desertfox_at_thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 03:18:43 -0700

<Lots of market vs. product semantic drivel deleted>

So lets ask ourselves what exactly makes a market? Possibly several products used by the majority of a targeted audience? So lets take the Word Processor market which is made up of several major PRODUCTS that are exclusively used by 95% of a target audience. Many years ago this market was comprised of Word, Word Perfect, and a few others.

Microsoft has since then dominated this MARKET with their PRODUCT MS Word. I don't know of too many people that don't use Word exclusively.

>Internet market? Again??
>
>> Although the battle is raging on with Microsoft slightly behind in the
web
>> server and Database areas, just give them a little time. They are
relative
>> newcomers to these fields but the writing is on the wall. I develop
internet
>> applications and there is a saying among Microsoft developers:
>
>Oh puh-leaze. Stop confusing products with market. That is the most
childish
>argimentation I've heard from MS. Try to replace a market with a product,
then
>claim the market when the product is down. CRAP!

Other than your childish semantic word game of Market vs. Product it would be nice if you would actually participate in some intelligent discussion.

>> but their servers are only going to get better with time and if worse
comes
>> to worst you can always just add more hardware until they catch up. I
could

>Oh boy, the "add hardware to solve crap software problems" idea. First
heard
>this one in the 60's from IBM. Still doing the rounds, by the looks of it.
>Still a load of rubbish.

.... and you're making what point here? Adding hardware in this day and age is actually a very cost effective solution. Maybe 10 years ago when 512k was $150 it might have been a bad idea but in many cases adding more hardware to increase scalability is the best way in this era of super-cheap hardware. And remember, I said MSFT was behind in this MARKET but they will catch up and overtake their competitors soon.

>Cheers
>Nuno Souto
>nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au
>http://www.acay.com.au/~nsouto/welcome.htm

David Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 05:18:43 CDT