Re: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST problem

From: Julio Negueruela <julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:20:45 +0200

Sergei Galperin escribió:
> =

> Hello.
> We have Oracle 7.3.3 on HP 9000. DB is 24/7 and cannot be taken down.
> We need to change the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST.
> - We have issued the command ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG START
> 'destination';
> - Archives are going to the new directory now
> =

> Problem:
> - The value of the "log_archive_dest" in the v$parameter did NOT
> change. It is still pointing to the old directory.
> Because of that our backup script doesn't work correctly.

May be I'm wrong but I think that the value og log_archive_dest is provided by your init.ora file when starting up the instance, so you can alter system to theorically change temporary the destination. So you'll have to shutdown your db, change this value in the init file and restart the instance. But you say you can't do it. What we've done is the following:
Every few hours run an automatic script wich makes the following:

alter system archive log stop;

mv /<redo_dest>/* /<new_dest>/*

alter system archive log start;

We've included this script in the crontab.

Regards.
-- =

Julio Negueruela
DBA Servicio Informático

Universidad de La Rioja      -      Spain
Telf: 941-299179     Fax: 941- 299180

mailto:julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 09:20:45 CDT