Re: index organized tables

From: Dante <dnotari_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 18:44:35 GMT

Well ...
  you should have one index for every entry path into your   table.

  You should have constraints for every bussiness rule that   applies. The mandatory bussiness rule is for the   Primary Key ... which columns identify your object ?

  When you say, the event can occur multiple times, but each   time the information can be different to you mean:    the information can be different, or does it have to be    different.

  For the later it would mean that you would have to create   an unique index over event and information.

  If you will be searching by shippingid and eventcode and timestamp   you have to consider:
    Do you always search with all three columns ?     If not ... you will need three seperate index, if      yes ... you can but them in one index

  you argument for the bitmap index is faulty ... be aware that   you should only use bitmap index in environment where the data   is more or less stable (few datachanges), otherwise the   performance will suck you down.
  And what do you want to have an index on eventcode anyway ?

  Index Organized Table: An index organized table is a table that     exists only within the (primary key index). This means that     you will have to include all columns in your index and     specify the table explicit as index organized.     Warning: in 8.0.x you can have only one index on an IOT.      in 8.1.x you can have more

Regards
Dante

    only one index on an