Re: Oracle Names

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_snet.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 19:23:19 -0400

Juhan Kundla wrote:

> Gee, guess I'm not the most competent person to help you with your
> problem, because I'm trying to implement ONames Server without any
> success so far on the Windows NT environment...:( Anyway, here are few
> ideas, that might help you.

text snipped her due to ISP included text restrictions.

Those oranamesrvr0 thru oranamesrvr4 are known as well-known names servers. They should be applied as aliases to the hosts on which the real names servers live. I am going to try this infact in a few days on the Unix platform. It is the listener that automatically resgisters its supported databases with the well-known names servers if you include USE_PLUG_AND_PLAY_listenername = ON in the listener.ora file (at least according to some of the Oracle doc). Thsi did not seem to work when I tried it without well-known names servers but did have the perferred server listed in the sqlnet.ora client profile file.

As far as setting up ONAMES on NT, as long as you don't use a region database, using the Net8 Assistant makes creating and starting an NT based names server a 10 minute job. The thing they tell you in class that you just need the client software is not true. That is all you need to get Net8 Assistant, but the names server won't start without names.exe or names80.exe? That only comes on the server CD.

Good luck.

--
Gerry Sinkiewicz
sinkiege_at_snet.net Received on Wed May 05 1999 - 18:23:19 CDT