Re: Oracle Names

From: Juhan Kundla <juhan_at_ensib.ee>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 18:52:16 +0300

Gee, guess I'm not the most competent person to help you with your problem, because I'm trying to implement ONames Server without any success so far on the Windows NT environment...:( Anyway, here are few ideas, that might help you.

-What is the version of sql*net you are using? AFAIK Dynamic Discovery of services is supported since v2.3. (???) if I remember correctly.

-Your database listener has to know somehow, that there's a names server connected to the network, so in the database server there has to be either preferred.names_server parameter in the sqlnet.ora file or you must use namesctl reorder_ns to create file oracle_home\net80\names\sdns.ora. In case you are using reorder_ns, your names server(s) must have ip-aliases like oranamesrvr0 and use port 1575 for network listening, so namesctl utility can automatically find them.

Cheers,
Juhan