Lost permissions on Oracle8

From: Alton Ayers <altona_at_ditw.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 14:26:55 -0400

I'm having a strange problem with permissions on Oracle8 release 8.0.5.1.1.

I grant permissions on objects to roles which are used by the desktop users. Normally
everything works o.k. but sometimes it seems as Oracle gets confused and forgets that
the role has permission on an object. This has been happening pretty often today. I've
looked at the dba_tab_privs view and it shows that the role has permission, in this case
select on a view, but on a query against the view I get back "ORA-00904:invalid column
name." (Notice that it isn't 00942: table or view does not exist. We don't use column
grants.) Anyway when this happens in the desktop, I'm able to duplicate it using
SQL*Plus.

To fix it, all I have to do is grant the permission again but this is not a solution. This
also seems to happen with stored procedures as well.

Has anyone else seen this and if so, how do I fix it? Is it an Oracle bug?

Thanks
  Alton Received on Tue May 04 1999 - 13:26:55 CDT