Re: rollback segments, why two extents?

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 12:33:49 +0800

Jonathan,

A follow-up to your reply, also posted to the News Group for others.

Within the concepts guide just before
file:/G|/ORANT/ORA815/doc/server.815/a67781/c02block.htm#4860 (substitute your URL directory structure) "The first transaction that needs to acquire more rollback space checks the next extent of the rollback segment. If the next extent of the rollback segment does not contain information from an active transaction, Oracle makes it the current extent, and all transactions that need more space from then on can write rollback information to the new current extent."

Is it this check that means Oracle requires two extents. The fact that Oracle does not want to go and allocate another extent automatically.

The document goes on
"As the transactions continue writing and fill the current extent, Oracle checks the next extent already allocated for the rollback segment to determine if it is available."

So is Oracle actually preempting the transaction and saying, since I have already needed to grow, I'll check to see if the next extent is available, prior to actually needing it?

Hopefully Thomas Kyte can give us the definitive answer for tomorrow <GGG>
Andrew