VB6->CR7->crash Oracle...

From: Howard Lee Harkness <hlh_nospam_at_excite.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 23:44:40 GMT

Right now, we have no idea of the cause of this problem, but it is on the top of our crisis stack, and we absolutely must find the cause ASAP. The symptoms are that after I run a CR7 report (using VB6 to call the OCX), our Oracle database quits working, reporting that several of the tables that I have been using are corrupt. Oracle quits working completely, and nobody else can even log in to the database. The problem is complicated by the fact that I am also calling a number of stored procedures from VB, one of which creates a new view. I also typically have an open SQL*plus session.

The only suggestion that I have heard so far is that the MS ODBC driver should be replaced with one from Oracle. Any suggestions for where to look, or what kinds of tests to run, regardless of how off-the-wall they might be, would be greatly appreciated. I am not a DBA, and my background is not sufficiently strong in Oracle, VB, or CR, so the information given is probably not sufficient to identify the problem, so I would appreciate pointers on what kinds of questions to ask.

--
Howard Lee Harkness
hlh_nospam_at_excite.com is a valid address, but I would prefer to see replies in this newsgroup. Received on Sun May 02 1999 - 18:44:40 CDT