Perfomancetuning a simple but large table

From: <jonasmalmsten_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 20:15:02 GMT

Hi!

I want to setup an Oracle database that will contain only on but a large table. I tried this using the preconfigured database that installes with Oracle, run the following script from SQL Plus.

create table TELEKAT (
  RUBRIK varchar2(255),
  NAMN varchar2(127),
  ORT varchar2(63),
  DETALJ long,
  TELEFON varchar2(63),
  MOBILTELEFON varchar2(63),
  FAX varchar2(63)
);

create unique index TELEKAT_UNIQUE on TELEKAT(   RUBRIK,
  NAMN,
  ORT,
  TELEFON,
  MOBILTELEFON,
  FAX
);

The index is used only to ensure uniqueness. At start everything works ok, but after adding around 5000 records it starts getting slow. If I close my client application and restart it things start go really slow (several seconds for every insert). The client is a simple delphi application using delphi standard components. My goal is to insert 500000 records.

Thanks for any help

//Jonas