Re: Creation of Database Link

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:15:42 -0700

Aik Khoon wrote:

> I have created the Net8 Services using Net8 Assistant.
>
> E.g. in TNSNAMES.ORA
>
> DB1.WORLD = (DESCRIPTION=
> (ADDRESS=
> (PROTOCOL=TCP)
> (HOST=TOP)
> (PORT=1521))
> (CONNECT DATA=(SID=DB1))))
>
> In Oracle8 NT, I typed the following command in SCOTT account
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK DB1 CONNECT TO SCOTT IDENTIFIED BY TIGER USING
> 'DB1.WORLD';

Your problem *might* be related to global names. If the local init.ora parameter GLOBAL_NAMES=T then the local server will require that the name of the db link match the global name of the remote database -- if the remote db in your example has a global name of db1.world then i am surprised that you were able to create a link named "DB1" w/o getting an error, unless GLOBAL_NAMES is false locally. i don't recall offhand if you *must* have GLOBAL_NAMES set to T for rep., but the point is that if this parameter is set to T then the db link names match match exactly the global name of the db the link will connect to.

Hope this helps...