Re: Backup Strategy v8.05 on NT

From: Dave Cowden <cowden_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:42:30 -0400

Yev:

If you have the disk space, you can use the following steps to do a backup using only the standard tools available with ORACLE and NT:

(1) put your tablespaces in backup mode (ALTER TABLESPACE <name> BEGIN BACKUP;) (2) use the utility OCOPY (i think that's what its called) to copy the tablespace files to another file name. Its the only utility short of using BAckup manager (which means Oracle proprietary tape format) or a third party product (which means $$$ and more complexity)

(3) use NTbackup to back up the file
(4) put your tablespaces out of backup mode
(5) get rid of the copies if you want.

This will only work if you have enough space to have the copies of the tablespaces on the system at the same time. You can do it one tablespace at a time, though.

As for your control files and log files, the control files you can multiplext them using ORacle and back them up using NTbackup, and you can use NTbackup to back up the archived log files also.

HTH
Dave

>I read up some on v8 Recovery Manager & Backup Manager.
>
>It sounds like we need to backup up to a seperate Disk.
>
>What do we then use something else to "backup the backup" to tape?
>
>Can any of the backup programs safely backup open (or closed) Oracle
>databases, log files and control files?
>
>Is there anyplace on the Web that specifically deals with this?
>

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Yev wrote in message ...
>>We are planning to run 2 NT servers each with Oracle 8.05 (different
>>applications)
>>
>>Which backup software best automates the backup & restore process??
>>
>>Can v8.0 Recovery Manager do it alone or do we need Arcserve or Backup
Exec