Re: ORA-01450 on creation of new index.

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:00:26 +0800

Hi,

I don't think you want a BITMAP index on a block_description field that is this size, do you? BITMAP indexes are generally used where there are a large number of records, with a few distinct values!

Also, if the where clause is as follows; where block_description like '%Fred%'
then an Index will not be used, if however the where clause is; where block_description like 'Fred%'
then the Index may be used.

Rgds
Andrew