Re: Is Self Recovery Possible?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:23:12 -0700

B.R.

Andrew was correct. All you should need to change in the init.ora file is the DB_NAME parameter and the CONTROL_FILES parameter. All the datafile and logfile information is kept in the control files, so if you haven't overwritten them you should be OK.

Even easier if you have a backup of the init.ora file. Then just use it!

HTH. Pete

huntbright_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In fact I had tried like you said but failed, the point is I have to create a
> new instance specifying the init file (this is no problem and the control
> files' location are included in it) and the redo logs and data files. I don't
> know if I have to specify all of these parameters precisely because there're
> quite a lot of datafiles and redo logs to specify if I need to do, and said by
> the documentation if I create a new instance using "reuse controlfiles" then
> the control files will be overwritten, will this be a problem? All I want to
> know is how to create this new instance successfully and make the previous
> controlfiles and all others files used by the new instance. Can you help on
> this?
>
> B.R.
>
> In article <3722BB6B.5B01ECF0_at_mail.com>,
> Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com> wrote:
> > If you have all the control files, datafiles and on line redo log files, all
> you
> > need to do is change the init.ora file to have the correct db_name, and the
> > control_files parameter pointing to the control files. After this, the
> database
> > should start without any problems. If, as you say, you did not loose any
> Oracle
> > data files, all that Oracle will do is Crash Recovery.
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > huntbright_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > OS and Oracle crashed due to disk permanent failure, but all the
> > > controlfiles, datafiles, redo logs and init file are fine since they were
> > > stored on other disks. I've reinstalled OS and Oracle, now the challenge is
> > > how to make the new Oracle recoganize previous files to recover the
> database.
> > > There's no backup at all. I'm considering startup a new database and replace
> > > it with previous files but I'm not sure. Is it possible for Oracle to do
> such
> > > a "self-recovery"? Or, can I use the saved previous files as the backup and
> > > do recovery from them? Please help me out of this issue.
> > >
> > > B.R.
> > > Hunt

> > > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA