Re: import buffer > 256k?

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:19:45 +0200

David Spaisman wrote in message <37237FDE.78FD8D49_at_intercall.com>...
>1) sometimes import can be very slow if there are indices to
>build/rebuild. How can I speed import up?

Improve speed of index creation. First of all, make sort_area_size as large as possible. It is very reasonable to allow tens of megabytes of sort_area_size at the import time (if free RAM is available). Next, ensure using sort_direct_writes and consider using temporary tablespace.
If it is not enough, you may perform import without index creation but with indexes file script created instead. Then you might re-edit it to enforce NONRECOVERABLE index creation.

>2) Can I use 512k as a buffer size? Can I use anything larger? Has
>anyone encountered this concern?

Yes. I used up to 5M for example. Even you should use greater in case of large rows (with long or long raw columns which size is more than 0.5M).

>#) Has anyone loaded data with the import utility for a 2gb or 10 gb
>database?

Be sure. Many, many of us. Even with larger databases.

--
Piotr Kolodziej pkol_at_otago.gda.pl
Just my private opinion. Received on Mon Apr 26 1999 - 03:19:45 CDT