Connecting a database to the Internet

From: Andy Horne <ahorne_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:13:39 +1000

I have been approached by a client who wishes to allow access to their database via the Web. We looked at this about 2 years ago but then Y2K got in the way. Does anyone have case histories on how they went about it which would be informative?

The model we originally envisaged was to have the Production database behind a firewall, and have a 'staging' database connected to this which allowed connections from the web. We toyed with Advanced Replication Option (didn't work) for security reasons. However, this uses Enterprise Edition and the licencing costs were prohibitive. We also looked at snapshots but weren't sure if these would be suitable or reliable.

How do sites allow Web access to their Production databases without compromising security?

Any help appreciated,

Andy Horne Received on Sun Apr 18 1999 - 19:13:39 CDT