Re: Problems installing Oracle8 server

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:09:49 +0200

Fabian Wondratschek wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I tried to install the database on a NT 4.0 server and I received nearly
> the same message: "Cannot open admin". The other errmsgs are the same.

Not sure, as I would expect OAS to need this, too, but do you have administrator rights
on your NT system when you install the database?

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > The server software will NOT run on NT workstation. The client WILL

Oh yes it will - I'm running 805 on an NT WS right now.

<snip>

> > HomeUser wrote in message <7easru$amr$1_at_news4.jaring.my>...
> > >I'm running on Windows NT workstation 4 platform and tried to install
> > the
> > >Oracle 8 server [sniped] up..I can't even install the server. Nope
> > there's
> > nothing wrong with the CD
> > >coz' my colleague tried it before on NT server. The difference here
> > is that
> > >I'm trying to install it on NT workstation. but this shouldn't be the
> >
> > >problem as the document mentioned that it can run on NT workstation.
> > Did I
> > >get anything wrong ..I mean do I have to install sth first before
> > installing
> > >Oracle 8?
> > >
> > >by the way, my file system is on NTFS.

As long as you do not try to install a starter database on a compressed NTFS partition, you're OK.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle
V&L Informatica BV

Work                           Home
Postbus 545                    Hunzestraat 4
7500 AM Enschede               7555 WB Hengelo
(31)53.434.1500                (31)74.242.5046