Re: RAW partitions on Linux

From: Philipp Florschutz <pf_at_gmx.net>
Date: 15 Apr 1999 07:05:01 GMT

Michael Hasenstein <mha_at_suse.de> wrote:

> PS: I'd like to test it, but HOW? In the installer I get to where I have
> to tell it where to store the files, but what do I enter there? The same
> raw device for each file? A different one for each? The default is
> /dev/bla/rawdevice/control02.ctl, which I fail to understand, because
> the device is /dev/bla/rawdevice, so far so good, but why is there a
> path appended?

You will need a raw partition for any DB file. This means, you need to create enough partitions (even more if you like them striped or mirrored), make them raw partitions (I do not know the mentioned linux code). The installer will ask you for the corresponding raw partition for any file you want. I would recommend creating sort of a $ORACLE_HOME/dev directory where You collect symlinks to your raw partitions. Use a clear naming scheme, then enter the symlinks as filenames for the installer.

In general it seems easier to me to modify those crdb<bla>.sql and crdb2<bla>.sql scripts and run them manually after installation and removal of the sample DB. Regards, Philipp --
der tag beginnt morgens und endet abends und mittags machen wir mittag

e-mail pfl@gmx.net                    webpage http://www.inode.muc.de/