Re: Oracle8 on Linux ok?

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:53:08 GMT

hosia_at_lut.fi (Tuomas Hosia) wrote:

]You have seen a Linux crash? On what? Faulty hardware?
]I'd like to hear as I haven't had such a luck.

Be serious now.
My 3 favorite ways to crash a 2.0.35 "stable" kernel.

  1. Put Oracle on 4 SCSI disks on the one SCSI bus. Add a CD-ROM and a Tape drive. Run a hot backup of the database to the tape while accessing the CD-ROM. You run out of SCSI buffers real fast and the whole system freezes (does not respond to network anymore either).
  2. Mount a non-existant IDE partiton. Wipes the whole thing out straight away.
  3. Put about 90 concurrent users on a Pentium 90 - AIEEEE!! Scheduling in interrupt and the system is as dead as an BSOD NT box.

That said; I am amazed at how people have reported 1.5 years uptime for the NT boxes. I have NT 4 on my desktop and cant get more that 2 days out of it. There are about 5 NT servers in the server room - great air con, conditioned power and all the bit - they dont last more than a week; one got to 300 hours and people started commenting on it.

The new Suns go about 2-3 months befor a patch or hardware failure brings them down.

The old Sun 2 boxes went for 420 days before NIS stopped; I had forgotten the admin passwords and so had to reboot them. (These are not production boxes so I dont install patches on them)

Wouldn't an NT box with 1.5 years up time have several security/DOS holes in it; such as Ping-O-Death and its "friends"? What about SP4 - when did SP3 come out? Bet you haven't checked its BIOS for Y2K without having to boot either.... --
 ,-,_|\ George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet. __

/    * \ Home: gedau_at_pobox.com         !  Any views or opinions expressed (OO)
\_,--\_/ Work: gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au    !  above may be mine, but are NOT ( \/ )
      v   WWW: http://pobox.com/~gedau !  necessarily those of M.I.M.     W--W