Re: Import/Export Franch character problem. Can anybody Help?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:36:07 +0200

Hi Jurie
The problem here seems to be the export. Oracle requires environment variables, registry keys or whatever (I'm not too familiar with OS/2) to be set in the client session, or default values will be used. Of course, this is US7ASCII and your data will be converted automatically (and having lost that eighth bit, not much can be done). There should be messages to standard out and/or the log file in which character set the export has been written. Direct export however will always be written in the character set of the database. It will though not allow conversion during imp. Please check out HKEY+AFw-local machine+AFw-software+AFw-oracle on NT there should be a NLS+AF8-LANGUAGE setting there. The same applies to OS/2 and I don't know how they implement that.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
Iurie Jigalov wrote in message +ADw-3712AAEB.AC3C9BDD+AEA-usa.net+AD4-...
+AD4-
+AD4-Hello,
+AD4-I am trying to migrate from 7.7.2 ( OS/2) to 7.3.4 (NT ) 2Gib db. I used
+AD4-exp /imp73.
+AD4-Both servers work in the same character set
+AD4-American+AF8-America.WE8ISO5589P1
+AD4-
+AD4-The problem is in the following: data fields on OS/2 contain French
+AD4-characters,
+AD4-which are being transformed onto NT platform and I can see them from NT
+AD4-client
+AD4-computer in dos mode (svrmgr23 and notepad), but from another program
+AD4-such
+AD4-as Oracle Form, sqlplus, SQL Worksheet I can not see them. I tried
+AD4-change character
+AD4-sets in NLS+AF8-LANG and NT default language. Charecter changed but I haven
+AD4-seen French.
+AD4-The same situation when I am connecting from NT workstation to OS2
+AD4-server.
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-Could anybody give me advice? Thank you very much.
+AD4-Iurie.
+AD4-