Re: Oracle8 on Linux ok?

From: Yann Doussot <doussot_at_gifrance.com>
Date: 12 Apr 1999 12:47:16 GMT

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:44:43 +0200, Søren Klintrup <bigchief_at_aub.dk> wrote:

>Linux can, if configured correctly, be a decent server... I wouldn't say
>that it couldn't ... - But i don't like the development model of linux,
>theres too many sources of errors when you develop that way .. just my five
>cents worth ..

        Well this issue can be discused for years. But, IMHO, if you choose a vendor like RedHat you get a professional distribution, serioulsy tested with 24H/24 support ...

>I actually thought that Oracle had produced a port for the BSD branch, but
>when i checked there were these releases of Oracle8 :
>
>NT
>Netware
>Linux
>SCO Unix
>
>FreeBSD supports Linux, and SCO Binaries, therefore there would be no
>problem actually running Oracle on FreeBSD ..
>
>I administer Oracle on NT only, and havn't had the time to set up an oracle
>on FreeBSD yet, but it'll probably come one day ..

        I've heard that FreeBSD folks tried to run Oracle/Linux. Don't know if they succeded but it didn't look straight forward. Anyway I'm almost sure that Oracle will never support such a hack.

>Maybe i should have stated that this is my experince on the OS's and
>performance/stability regarding hardware, not the OS with Oracle on ... i'm
>sorry for this mixup ..
>
>As he states it should run as a Mission critical database, thats why the
>Operating System MUST not be unstable or have performance problems, all
>software has errors .. some more .. some less ..

        OS performance and stability is an endless issue. Some like NT, other Unix ... The good thing with Linux is that you can try it for free.

---
Yann Doussot <doussot_at_gifrance.com>
Grey Interactive - France - http://www.gifrance.com/ Cell: +33 6 12 71 70 03 Work: + 33 1 46 84 85 00 Received on Mon Apr 12 1999 - 07:47:16 CDT