Help required for accessing global data from Pro*c

From: Gary Pennington <GaryPennington_at_teccosol.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 19:03:45 +0100

Greetings,

    I am currently writing a Pro*c applications that recieves messages from an oracle pipe. An entry is placed in the pipe by a trigger.

The problem I have is that I would like to store a status flag in a 'global' variable so that if the trigger fails to write to the pipe it can set the 'global' flag.

The Pro*c program would then try reading from the pipe and the 'global' flag, to ensure everything is OK.

If the flag is then set the Pro*c program knows something is up and the data it is holding may be stale.

I tried creating a package to hold the flag and a routine that writes to the pipe (that the trigger would call), but every instance connection sees its own global (its not global enough), so the Pro*c always thinks everything is OK.

Is there any neat solution to this.

The only thing I can think of is to use a table to hold the flag, but this means selecting and updating the table all the time, which must be a lot less efficient than looking at a package variable.

Thanks for any help (or suggestions)

    Gary Pennington. Received on Sun Apr 11 1999 - 13:03:45 CDT