Re: One object privilege quesiton.

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:10:14 -0700

Violin,

Your idea is intellectually quite interesting but never implement this in this way! Never ever create triggers on SYS table, especially on OBJ$ which is at the core of everything. Even if it works right know, you never know what the next release has in store. Moreover, your hard-coding the user id (user#) is especially dangerous; quite possibly some users where created BEFORE the user you are interested in which have been since dropped. If you ever do a dull exp/imp, your user# will probably change.
Do you absolutely need 'real time' grants? I doubt it. Instead of playing around with SYS tables, I rather suggest you create an Oracle job (using the dbms_job package), started by AP_DBA, which runs at the frequency which suits you a procedure (owned by AP_DBA) which looks for objects which were created since the last time it ran (by the way, type for tables is 2, not 1. 1 are indexes). Since you are using Oracle7 syntax (you would have written type# with Oracle8) beware however that Oracle jobs behave well; I have had problems with 7.2, although it was OK with prior versions and with 7.3

And try to calm down developers if they are creating tables at a rate which justifies this kind of processing ...

--
Regards,

  Stéphane Faroult
  Oriole Corporation