Re: PO7 change tablesize-space

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:26:41 GMT

On Thu, 08 Apr 1999 12:17:30 GMT, uwe1_at_stuttgart.netsurf.de wrote:

>my main problem right now is that i would like to change the size of a
>tablespace. WHERE and HOW can i provide this?

Run SQL*Plus, and connect as the user SYSTEM. The default password is MANAGER. To increase the size of a tablespace, you need to add a datafile. First, issue the following query to find out where your files are currently:

select name from v$datafile;

You may want tot place your new file in the same directory. To add a data file, say a 5 megabyte datafile, issue the following command:

alter tablespace tablespace_name

        add datafile 'c:\orawin95\...\new_file.dbf' size 5m;

That should do it. You can lookup the alter tablespace command in the SQL Reference manual. Your cd-rom should have an html version of it.

Jonathan

p.s. there is no way to easily shrink a tablespace. Received on Thu Apr 08 1999 - 23:26:41 CDT