Re: They MUST Be Kidding

From: Chris Hamilton <ToneCzar_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 16:51:33 GMT

tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas Kyte) wrote:

>sigh. No, you need X to install on solaris AFAIK, no character mode but you
>don't have to be on the console. I've been using freeware VNC (get it from
>http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). It allows you to do a virtual X
>Session from your browser. It (VNC) is actually pretty cool. I fire up the
>install on one machine, disconnect the GUI session, goto another machine and
>'rejoin' my XSession. I've even started an install, disconnected the gui,
>driven home, dialed up and rejoined the install to see how it finished.

Thanks, Thomas!!! I guess I misread the docs on that one (I glanced at them hurriedly before I had to run). It did seem implausible to force a console-only install (shades of NT).

I've got eXceed on my laptop (it's a bit pokey on 56K), and I'll definitely try out this VNC tool.

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com
Oracle DBA -- Wall Street Sports
http://www.wallstreetsports.com/ Received on Sat Apr 03 1999 - 10:51:33 CST