Re: They MUST Be Kidding

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 14:01:02 GMT

A copy of this was sent to ToneCzar_at_erols.com (Chris Hamilton) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 03 Apr 1999 12:34:15 GMT, you wrote:

>Just got my Oracle 8i for Solaris CD yesterday and had a cursory
>glance at it.
>
>Mistake #1: I put the Enterprise Manager 2.0 CD in my PC and ran the
>new Java-based Oracle Universal Installer. I had OEM 1.6 already
>installed in d:\orant. So ... it says that it can't install OEM 2.0
>because there is an earlier version existing that I must remove. So I
>remove 1.6 and restart the installer. Then it says all products must
>be installed in a SEPARATE Oracle Home from the existing. Boy that
>pissed me off.
>
>But then, reading through the installation guide for Solaris, I
>noticed that the new Universal Installer is only supported ON THE
>CONSOLE ... no character mode, no X ...
>
>Are they kidding? My server is 5000 kilometers away and I manage it
>via telnet and 56k dialup.
>
>What about "headless" servers? What about server locked up in secure
>locations?
>
>They claim the installer can accept a scripted "response" file, but
>hey the first time I install 8i I sure as hell want to see exactly
>what it's doing.
>
>Anyone know of any workarounds or did I misread the docs?

sigh. No, you need X to install on solaris AFAIK, no character mode but you don't have to be on the console. I've been using freeware VNC (get it from http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). It allows you to do a virtual X Session from your browser. It (VNC) is actually pretty cool. I fire up the install on one machine, disconnect the GUI session, goto another machine and 'rejoin' my XSession. I've even started an install, disconnected the gui, driven home, dialed up and rejoined the install to see how it finished.

VNC lets you do 'X' with Win as well (so I can leave my laptop at work and 'dial into it' using vnc.

>Chris
>Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com
>Oracle DBA -- Wall Street Sports
>http://www.wallstreetsports.com/

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Apr 03 1999 - 08:01:02 CST