Re: ORA-01653: Unable to extend table

From: <pjackson_at_hilliard.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:28:30 GMT

To see if it is a coalescing problem you can execute the following query:

select tablespace_name, percent_blocks_coalesced from dba_free_space_coalesced
where percent_blocks_coalesced < 100
order by percent_blocks_coalesced

if you have any tablespaces show up, execute this statement for each tablespace. alter tablespace <tablespace_name> coalesce

The SMON process will automatically coalesce tablespaces unless the pct_increase parameter for that tablespace is set to 0. If the tablespaces are not coalesced then it is possible for free space to be fragmented enough to prevent the system from obtaining an contiguous section of space.

Paul