Re: Help: Settle an argument regarding EXTENTS

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:30:43 +0100

>Knowing Oracle as I do, I find this more than a little disturbing. However,
>this DBA insists that "that's the way he's always built tables", with no
>other explanation or facts to back up his assertion.

This is the commonest reason for Oracle 4/5 constructs appearing in Oracle 7/8 databases. Some people never move on.

A DBA's job runs more smoothly if you have a strategy for uniform extent sizing in any tablespace. Some of the space management strategies in Oracle 8i are actually designed to encourage this to happen.

As has been pointed out, you can't actually get 60Gb into a single extent, as an extent has to be a single file. In fact I think your platform (HPUX 10.20, Oracle 7.3.4) is limited to 2Gb per Oracle file even though the O/S allows a 4Gb raw volume.

On a more serious design issue, if you grow to a 60 Gb table in 6 months and hope to archive the data off thereafter, then you may want to look at partition views, and make that table a UNION ALL view of about 10 to 40 tables. (Or move to Oracle 8 and make it a partition table).

Still, your contract DBA may not have heard about partition views !

Re: the 4Gb discs in an EMC tower - is this old kit, or are the disc 'EMC hyper volumes' in a much larger physical disc ? If the latter then be very careful about distributing the I/O as uniformly as possible across as many spindles as you can get.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk Received on Tue Mar 30 1999 - 14:30:43 CST