Outer Join Performance

From: Julia Cristina Varela de Montoya <jc_va_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:28:57 -0500

Our directors are under the assumption that outer-joins cause a performance decrease, and have instructed me to remove them from various places in code, regardless of the fact that fewer rows may return.

After doing explain plans, I see that outer-joins have less execution steps, and do in fact return rows faster. Can someone summarize for me what I can say to management, or am I dreaming? Received on Thu Mar 25 1999 - 21:28:57 CST