Re: converting from SQL Server to Oracle

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:58:33 GMT

In article <36F97D98.8718D812_at_connectnet.com>,   Jennifer Neff <jneff_at_connectnet.com> wrote:
> We're looking at having our contractor convert their code from SQL
> Server to Oracle 7.3.3 so we're both talking to the same database. Their
> code is written using stored procedures and C++. Is the easiest way to
> convert this using Pro*C to call the PL/SQL stored procedures? Their
> biggest concern is that the stored procedures return record sets and
> they need to use something that handles cursors and record sets.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Jennifer

So called "result sets" are only implicit cursors. PRO*C is was created to resemble IBM's precompilers and the notion of a cursor was inherited from SQL/DS. MS SQL doesn't support either cursors or PRO*C if they are doing stored procedure conversion, there is an automated tool that does a very good job. As for the programs, they'll have to rewrite them anyway. The other solution would be to use something like Rogue Wave which has an object layer conforming to the both databases and use classes from dbtools.h for both Oracle and SQL Server. That would ensure compatibility with both databases and provide your contractor with the code they can use in both worlds. Mladen Gogala