Re: Anyone Using Oracle8 with Novell?

From: Shober's <bshober_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:26:21 -0500

Well since I have not seen Oracle on NT or UNIX, can't tell what are any differences. We use Dev 2K so we have the OEM stuff. Seems to work ok.

I don't know about stanby but replication is there. I've run the install sql, just to look it over. I have seen one other site that does have it running, but don't know what problems they have.

I am new to Oracle ( 2Yrs ), and have not had much interface with other developers. I've only been following the news groups and list servers for 6-8 months, and have not seen much traffic on Oracle on Netware.

It fits in fine with our requirements, small Netware servers at many locations. It seems to run very well as I provide DBA phone support using PcAnywhere to our 80 sites all over the world. We ( 2 developers and myself ) provide all support and development on the current systems, and develop the new replacement plus a new application to be installed at another 50-100 sites over the world. The advantage with Novell is that I also prove Netware adminstration for these apps also. Most problems are minor but occasionaly have to rebuild redologs or rollback tablespace. These systems have been running for 4-5 years, so have to fix datafile sizing or extent problems sometimes.

I have been using DOS / Windows for 15 yrs and Netware 4.x for 5 yrs now, so it is very familar. I have used and supported UNIX at times, but all that slash / backslash and case sensitivity drives me crazy. I think what you get used has a lot to do with your likes / dislikes on OS's.

Georgette P Cornio